Connect with us

ROYAL FAMILY

Breaking News: Prince Harry wins right to appeal rejection of publicly funded security detail in UK

Published

on

 

LONDON (AP) — Prince Harry has been given permission to appeal the British government’s rejection to provide him with publicly funded police protection in the U.K.

The Court of Appeal gave the Duke of Sussex the go-ahead to challenge a ruling earlier this year in the High Court. The permission was granted in May but only reported Thursday.

Judge Peter Lane ruled in February that a government panel’s decision to provide “bespoke” security on an as-needed basis after Harry quit as a working member of the royal family was not unlawful, irrational or unjustified.

“Insofar as the case-by-case approach may otherwise have caused difficulties, they have not been shown to be such as to overcome the high hurdle so as to render the decision-making irrational,” Lane wrote.

The long-running fight began more than four years ago when Harry first challenged the panel’s decision, arguing that he and his family need an armed security detail because of hostility directed toward him and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, on social media and relentless hounding by the news media.

Harry, 39, the younger son of King Charles III, has bucked royal family convention to challenge the government in court and sue the tabloid press.

He won a big victory in December after a judge found phone hacking at Mirror Group Newspapers was “widespread and habitual.” He has two similar cases remaining against the publishers of The Sun and Daily Mail.

The security case appeared to be dead after the High Court in April rejected his first request to appeal Lane’s decision. But Justice David Bean on the Court of Appeal said on May 23 that he could challenge the lower court decision.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

CELEBRITY1 hour ago

BREAKING:”Michael Jordan Sparks Controversy as He Calls for Medals to Be Stripped of Athletes Who Kneel”… see more

CELEBRITY2 hours ago

BREAKING: “Drunk NFL Legend and Travis Kelce Brother Jason Kelce’s Terrifying Car Crash Leaves Onlookers in Shock as Car Smashes into City Intersection “Read more…

CELEBRITY4 hours ago

BREAKING: “For more than two decades, Tom Brady was the face of the NFL—a relentless competitor who defied age, expectations, and even time itself. But while his dedication to the game cemented his legacy as the greatest quarterback of all time, it also raised a difficult question: Did his obsession with winning ultimately cost him his marriage to Gisele Bündchen?…

CELEBRITY7 hours ago

Just in: “Luxury Car Dealership Laughs at Morgan Freeman – Wakes Up to Him Owning the Entire Showroom”Read more…

CELEBRITY11 hours ago

BREAKING: “Racist Judge Insults Black Man in Court, Gets Arrested by Him Just Minutes Later” Read more…

CELEBRITY14 hours ago

BREAKING:”Rumour Confirmed, Beyonce Caught Cheating With LeBron James by Source Close to Athlete’s Mother” Read More…

CELEBRITY16 hours ago

Just in:”Taylor Swift’s Mother Gets Rejected at a Luxury Store—What He Did Next Will Inspire Millions! Read More…

CELEBRITY16 hours ago

BREAKING: “Pure Joy! Tennis Legend Venus Williams, 44, Welcomes Beautiful Tripplet with Her Husband, The Gender of the Twins are”… See more

CELEBRITY1 day ago

BREAKING:”Taylor Swift Surprised This Fan During an Interview – What Happened Next Will Leave You in Tears”Read more…

CELEBRITY1 day ago

Just in:”Trump Administration Starts Mass Layoffs At Health Agencies, Donald Trump Says he is Carrying Out The Will of God in the”…Read more…

CELEBRITY1 day ago

Breaking:”Taylor Swift Heard a Nurse Singing Her Song – What Happened Next Will Leave You in Tears…Read more…

CELEBRITY1 day ago

SHOCKING: “A 7.7 magnitude earthquake in Myanmar has rocked the Thai capital, killing several people. Justin Bieber and his wife Hailey were affected by the earthquake while on tour and are now both”…see more…

Copyright © 2024 USArite